Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Uganda Experience

Jan is letting Tom travel to Uganda. Quick, hide her credit cards!


Greetings All,

Today is 17 January 2008 and I'm in the final preparations for an initial trip to Uganda. On 21 Jan my itinerary takes me from Philadephia to Frankfurt; on 22 Jan it's Frankfurt to Johannesburg, SA; and on 23 Jan it's the final leg from Johannesburg to Entebbe, Uganda, East Africa. The trip is officially at the invitation of the Archbishop of Tororo, Most Rev Denis Kiwanuka Lote. His Secretary, Rev Andrew Obel will meet me at the Entebbe International Airport (made world famous by Israel's raid on the forces of Idi Amin). We'll spend the next day in Kampala, the capital city of Uganda, where we plan to visit the zoo to see some of the most dangerous creatures on God's earth. I'm looking forward to seeing the variety of cobras, the green mambas and black mambas -- from the safe side of strong glass. Father Charles Opondo-Owara, who is from the Tororo Archdiocese, suggested getting familiar with the wildlife before going into the field. Certainly couldn't disagree.

This blog is being established at the suggestion of Mary Pat Hyland, former editor for the Press & Sun-Bulletin in Binghamton, New York, and with the help of my dear sweet daughter-in-law Amy. It will probably be kept very simple, but it will be a way to communicate with friends and those interested in water development within Uganda as I explore and document my observations in southeastern Uganda. Please keep in mind that any incoherent ramblings are soley the responsibility of the blogger (guess that's me).

Enough for the first entry. More about how and why next time.

Best regards to each of you!
Tom Hranek